Skip to main content Skip to search

Housing and Energy Assistance

Housing Assistance Programs

There are 20 federal housing and rental assistance programs, including two tax expenditure programs. Housing programs span three federal agencies: USDA, HUD, and the Treasury. Major Housing programs include: Public Housing Assistance, Housing Choice Voucher Program, Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, USDA Rural Rental Assistance, Continuum of Care, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, Section 202, Section 811, HOME Investment Partnerships, and the National Housing Trust Fund.

Federal authority, funding, and eligibility varies for each of these programs.

Several other programs provide funding for supportive housing services, including Medicaid, Community Health Centers, Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant, Social Services Block Grant, Community Services Block Grant, and the Community Mental Health Services Block Grant.

Energy Assistance Programs

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded block grant that helps make home energy bills more affordable for low-income households by paying a portion of their bills. Congress appropriates LIHEAP funding annually, and it is allocated to eligible entities – the 50 states, DC, state and federally-recognized tribes, and five territories – who then provide funding to eligible individuals. The program provides assistance in managing costs associated with home energy bills, energy crises, and weatherization and energy-related minor home repairs.